Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Getting into the Groove (slowly)

Coming back from a vacation after a long string of business trips, I feel refreshed and energized to deal with the grinds of work again.  However, while on vacation and those trips, my exercise levels did drop considerably.  I did my best to train when I could, but in the 3 1/2 weeks I was away from the gym, my weight went up nearly 1.7 pounds, from 190.3 to 192.  Yikes! 


Time off from any training program will result in muscular atrophy and a lack of endurance.  My initial impulse is to dive headfirst into my routine and pick up where I left off, but that is where plenty of people make mistakes.  Going too hard too fast will make you more susceptible to injury and you may perform the exercises with less than stellar form as your ego takes a hit. (you definitely won't be lifting with as much strength as before)  The best thing to do is take a deep breath and realize it will take a little time to get into the groove once more.  Check your ego and pride at the door because the amount you can lift will be less, and you will run out of breath a little sooner.  You will want to avoid over training too, as that can be detrimental to your goal of being fit. 

I generally like to do my lifting exercises with free weights since they require more muscles to stabilize the weight, but for the first 2 weeks I am going to be in the gym, I will use the machines to keep my form in check.  I will also take a look through my training journal (I highly recommend making one if you don't have one) and will take off about 25% of the weight for the first week I'm in the gym to allow my muscles to acclimate to load training.  (My current personal routine consists of 1 body part per day 5 days a week)

For cardio, I will keep it easy at 20 minutes of jogging or the elliptical machine with my heart rate around 50-60% of my maximum rate, and with no interval style training.  It will be tough (not to mention full of soreness!), but soon after the new year rolls in, I should be ready to tackle the gym like before.  A new year's resolution will be coming soon. 

To everyone out there, happy holidays and keep training!  If you have any advice you'd like add, or have any questions, post them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment